Tuesday, August 23, 2011

MY FIRST DIY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have FINALLY refinished an adorable glass hutch that I thought would look good in my living/kitchen open area.  I probably bought this thing 4 months ago, with every intention of finsishing it quickly, only for it to just sit in my garage and collect dust!!  I just could not get motivated!!  I think I have finally recieved some of that "second trimester" energy I hear about (but never seem to get!)...;)  So the past couple of days I have been hard at work on the piece, and I think it turned out PERFECT!!  I am very proud of myself, and now I am excited to tackle more projects!

"before"


On the down side, this was not some great garage sale or Goodwill find for $40... I found this at an antique store in McKinney listed for $200... Jay and I being the cheap people we are managed to get it for about $140 :)  I loved it because it was just the style and size I was looking for.

Here are some "after" photos:

I sanded the entire piece, then painted it with "painters touch" paint from Home Depot in black "flat"

I switched out all the knobs to some really cute crystal knobs I found, the pics don't do it justice

Once I was finished, I lightly sanded the entire piece again to give it a lighter and more "shabby" look

Here is a shot with some things I have added to the shelves already.  PLEASE, I welcome any suggestions for some cute stuff to add... this is not my best skill.

I think I may have paid about $50 for the knobs/paint/supplies... bringing the total cost of the project to about $200... that is still cheaper than most of the other already finished pieces I found that I thought would work, and I like this one best!

And lastly, here are couple of shots I have of it in the house:



So there it is! I think it turned out so cute! It is perfect in the space I wanted it to go in.  Next up, I am tackling Zoe's new room (which is our old guest bedroom)... then on to the new nursery.  We will probably be in this house for awhile (forever??? YIKES!), so I enjoy painting and fixing it up.  Oh, and I do want to give a shout out to my friend Chea from work who told me how to refinish this piece.  If you like the "shabby chic" look, check out her website, b/c she refinishes and sales beautiful furniture!!http://shabbycheas.weebly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment